Monday, February 11, 2019

Destination: Graveyard

Monday nights normally consist of doing homework and eating dinner, except last Monday night, I ended my day being surrounded by dead people, in the dark. Being in my FYE class "Beyond the Grave" requires us to spend a good amount of our time in a place where 50+ decomposed bodies are lying just a few feet beneath us. So on the freezing night of February 4th, my classmates and I took a trip to 2 graveyards in Charleston, the first one being the Cathedral Church of St. Luke and St. Paul  As we approached the graveyard, my stomach started to turn, being because I am the most paranoid person on the planet, and my phone was dying so I wouldn't have a light to guide me for long.

What surprised me though is how fascinating graveyards really are. To see a headstone and know that was a person just like you, breathing and walking around just like you're doing, makes you feel somewhat connected to the people that those headstones belong to. That's why I had an urge to apologize to every dead person I stepped on, that and the fear of being possessed because I was invading their personal space. Overall, my thoughts on cemeteries did change, they are more interesting than I thought. 

Die, Base and Cap
The first headstone I found belonged
 to a woman by the name of Georgenna
 Hume. It states that she was the "consort 
of Thomas M Hume", consort meaning 
husband or wife. She was born October 
19th 1819 and met her end on September
 7th 1855. She was just about to celebrate 
her 36th birthday when she passed away. 















Bedstead



 The tombstone on the left belonged to a man named Samuel Bonneau Pickens. He was born on July 13th, 1839 and left the earth on September 17th 1891. He was 52 when he took his last breath


Double Monument
The third monument I found was the headstone for a husband and wife, the husband being a Reverend of a church. His name was John Coming Ball, and his wife was Helln Jervey Jingle Ball.  
He was born on April 26th 1923 and died on his birthday in the year 2018. He was 95 years old when he passed. She was born on March 3rd of 1925, and passed away on March 7th of 2009. She was 85 at her time of death. 




Obelisk
  To the left is a headstone for a man
 named Matthew Sully Reeves, who was born in 
1814 and died in 1862 and his wife,
 Ellen Jackson. She was born 
in 1814 to Edward Weyman Bonuetheau 
and Matha Glen Bounetheau. 















Headstone on a base
The tombstone to the right belonged to a woman named Eliza Moore Wigfall. It doesn't state the exact date that she was born on, but it says that she was born in 1786, but died on the 7th of August in 1864. She was a widow of Thomas Wigfall who was buried at Brick Church.










Monument
This headstone was for a woman named
 Susan Henrietta, she was the wife
 of John Hanckel. She was born on June
 19th of 1822 and died December 13th of 1891. 










Headstone on a base
The headstone to the right belonged to Susan Henrietta's daughter, Susan Henrietta. Her fathers name was John Henrietta. She was born on August 6th 1849 and died February of 1905. She was buried next to her parents. Susan died before getting married.















Ledger
This headstone was actually quite different than the others, it was in the ground, covered with grass. It belongs to Sophia M. Elfe. She was buried next to her husband Albert Elfe. She died may 31st of 1870's. It seemed to have a type of scripture on it. 










Pedestal tomb vaulted roof




The 9th headstone I found was very unique. I wasn't able to find out who's headstone it was because my phone died, but the monument had a poem and a rose engraved into it. It says "My second morn shall dawn brighter than the first". 













Obelisk

The last tomb I found was the headstone of a man named Edward Weyman Bonetheau born in 1781 and died in 1862, and his wife Martha Glen who was the daughter of William and Martha Glen. She was born in 1777 and died in 1849.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Charleston Old City Jail

Last Monday, my class and I visited one of the most haunted buildings in Charleston. To say it was eery would be an understatement, as soon ...