Monday, April 15, 2019

Magnificent Magnolia

Last Monday my class and I went on our last field trip to a cemetery, and it was by far my absolute favorite. We visited Magnolia cemetery, and it was nothing like I had seen before.

There was acres and acres of unique headstones, surrounded by flowers and trees with Spanish moss. It also has a lake with a beautiful bridge in the middle that you can cross over to go to another side.

Magnolia cemetery was first opened in 1850 on the land of a former rice plantation, so there is a lot of history on those grounds. It really is the Beyoncé of all cemeteries, the view really is breathtaking and the graves were very creative.

I really enjoyed the layout of the cemetery, although it's very easy to get lost in (I found that out the hard way). There were mini "streets" and dirt roads that you could walk on, and it was very cool how on one side of the lake it was mostly gravestones then on the other side, there was rows of headstones for the confederate soldiers who died in the confederate war. In the middle of the rows there was a large statue of a confederate soldier that looked out over his fellow soldiers.




Cradle






My overall favorite memorial was the cradle for a baby that passed away quickly after birth. There was a lot of detail on it and I loved how in the middle of the cradle there was dirt and a spot for flowers to grow in it. Her name was Rosalie Raymond, the other information wasn't clear on her grave marker.






Cross







The second grave marker that I was fond of was this beautiful cross with designs in it. It belongs to a girl named Emma. There wasn't any additional information except the saying "asleep in Jesus" underneath her
name. It was surrounded by palm trees that made the sight even more beautiful.













Cross



The last grave marker I thought was unique was another cross, but it was designed differently than the other one. It has a smooth outline and what looks like a vine growing in the middle of it. It belongs to someone with the last name Pickney. The names weren't visible in my picture but the design caught my eye.














Overall I was very amazed with how beautiful this cemetery was. Normally when you think about a cemetery you think about death or sadness, but this really changed my perspective on graveyards. The contrast of the bright colors of the flowers and the light shades of the headstones really made it that much more enticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Charleston Old City Jail

Last Monday, my class and I visited one of the most haunted buildings in Charleston. To say it was eery would be an understatement, as soon ...